We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to upgrade of one of our city's most important and well-used civic institutions. The project will begin in summer 2015 with the replacement of the Loussac Library stairs with an entrance that is safe, welcoming and easy to find. We hope you will become a Library Champion and support this important project!
- The entrance project addresses immediate building safety, energy efficiency and accessibility issues, and furthers the Library's goals in education, technology and connecting the community.
- The entrance project is a result of the Loussac Facility Master Plan, which was created by a team of architects, designers, technology and library experts, and thoughtful and creative input from thousands of community members.
- The Loussac Library Entrance Renovation project is supported by the Anchorage Economic Development Corporation, TDX Corporation, Cook Inlet Housing Authority, Sand Lake Community Council, Spenard Community Council, Senator Begich and Anchorage Youth Development Coalition and more!
Click here for project overview.
News Coverage of the Loussac Renewal
Loussac Library Facility Master Plan
A year in the making, the Loussac Master Plan is a result of detailed planning by architects, designers, technology and library experts, and thoughtful and creative input from thousands of community members. The Plan, released in March 2013, sets a path to transform the Loussac into a dynamic hub for community engagement.
Video Overview of the Plan (3 min)
Volume 1: Research, Analysis + Engagement
Volume 1a: Existing Conditions Diagrams
Volume 2: Vision + Guiding Design Principles
Volume 3: Facility Master Plan Recommendations
Volume 1 Appendix
Volume 2 Appendix
Summary of Community Outreach for Plan
- Opportunities to learn, share, teach and collaborate, using advanced technology and traditional methods.
- More spaces for community gathering, meeting facilitation and group learning.
- An attractive, easy to navigate building, with increased natural light for a safe and welcoming experience for users of all ages and backgrounds. A building that is more efficient to operate.